Friday, January 25, 2013

A Letter to My Former Self

This week, we ask:

What did you think about dating and relationships when you were little? What do you think of them now?
 
Growing up I was quite the awkward child. I know, I know. You're all so surprised. I had what I liked to call (at the time) "boyfriends" throughout elementary school (pimp status!) and middle school. Most of which lasted a few days before they broke my heart and left my miserable, depressed and crying because my life was absolutely, 100% OVER. I was going to die.

When I was in high school I had one boyfriend through most of it. Once I was in college I needed sometime to focus on school. To get to know myself on a different level. To learn what it was like to be truly independent. This, my friends, was the best decision I ever made. Hands down, I would not be the person I am today (you know, beautiful, smart, talented, marture, professional, etc) had I not learned those things about myself. :)

Over the next 4 or 5 years I was single. I went on a date here and there, some good, some not so good, but I was very single, yet very happy and at peace with who I was becoming. I learned a lot about myself, made some pretty amazing life long friends and earned a Bachelor's degree.

Back to the original questions, What did you think about dating and relationships when you were little? What do you think of them now?

When I was little I th0ught that relationships made you. They were what validated you as a person (and that you were "cool" enough to have a boyfriend). Yes, I was quite the pathetic child.

Now in my much older and less pathetic state of life, I feel that relationships are things that you build. And they are something that help you grow into a grown up. They teach you lessons that nothing else will ever teach you. They guide you through communication faults and teach you how to love and nuture. It's not something that happens over night or over the course of a week. I'm talking all relationships, too. They take time, dedication and most of a heart

My husband and I met when we were both in completely different places in our lives. We learned that each of us made those places better for the other. But that did not happen over night. But we both knew we had something special. We both knew this is what we needed and wanted at that time in our lives. And viola! We were married two years later :)  

This was our very first picture together :)

When my 18 year old niece tells me that some boy broke her heart, this is what I tell her (and anyone else who tells me the same thing), "you live, you learn." <---- as="" awkward="" font="" former="" friends="" have="" i="" is="" known="" more="" my="" one="" self.="" that="" the="" thing="" wish="" would="" younger="">

Dear former self, stop being dramatic and live life! That boy is not the end of world. December 21 will be. Oh wait...

Are you linking up with Lisette, Sharon, Kaitlyn and Alexa?!
 
 photo letters_zpsd0aa4972.png
 
 
 
 
 



8 comments:

  1. wow amanda, beautifully written! and i don't think you were pathetic for thinking relationships validated you when you were younger. all kids are concerned with their images and being "cool" in high school and even college! i thought the same thing. i'm so happy for you and john! glad you guys are doing well. :)

    PS - sample sale today! ugh. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I found your blog on the Hop!

    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your letter! Esp the ending =0) Found you on the link-up!

    http://bear-yexcitedbride.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made a great point that relationships don't validate you as a person...I think a lot of adults go through life still thinking this.

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    January Group Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey I just found your blog from Wifessionals link up today and LOVE your blog! Your way too cute tho btw So of course I had to follow it :)
    Such a cute post!
    Your newest follower,
    Ashlee@ABpetite
    http://abpetite.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Only 2 years huh! That's impressive!! I love a girl that knows why she wants! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so well written! I wish I could shake my little brother [he's 18] and explain that his drama filled relationship with his gf is not the be all end all to life... Love the points you made and we all have to go through it growing up to become stronger adults I think!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That your little elementary school self thought she was gonna die because her life was over made me chuckle. We are all so dramatic as little kids, aren't we? Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love! I love hearing from readers :)