Thursday, January 31, 2013

{On Becoming a Runner}

Hey peeps! Yesterday I asked for advice on my horrid hair situation. Today, I am giving advice! Not about hair, don't be alarmed. 
I've written a little about my half marathon training adventures (the half marathon is in a WEEK, holy bageez!), and I have had quite a few people ask me how I learned to love running so I thought it would be appropriate to write a post and share with everyone so that you can also learn to love running, if you're up for it :)
I don't remember the time I "became" a runner. Growing up I was always athletic. I played soccer, basketball and participated in dance for a few years. When I was in college there was no time for any of those activities. Freshman year I went to the Rec Center a few times with my roommates and did the elliptical for maybe 20 minutes until I was bored out of my mind. Treadmills flat out intimidated me. 
I never really struggled from weight issues, "toning" issues, yes. But never weight issues. There was something about getting a good sweat in that made me feel good, not only physically but mentally. I was more focused. I felt accomplished. 
I continued to struggle with finding an activity that I enjoyed. Until I was a junior in college and I live with this girl. She was a runner. A hard core, inspiring runner. She ran for the same reasons I wanted to run, but I didn't know how to start, how to become a runner. 
I finally decided to take Nicole up on her offer and go for a run. It was hard, we ran a long way. I wanted to die, but I knew I had to keep up with her. By the end of that run, I was on top of the world. I felt amaza-zing! That's when I think I became a runner. I knew that this was something I could do! So I just started doing it. At first, I would just run 2 miles. Sometimes, 3 or 4. But never anymore than that unless I was going running with someone else and they pushed me to go farther.
Over the next couple of years, I ran off and on--whenever I had time or was really stressed and felt I needed a little endorphins. I realized I needed some sort of schedule (I am a huge planner, after all) to stay on top of my running and working out. So I researched and found a half marathon to run. I Googled a half marathon training program and I just did it. I told my husband my plan so that he would keep me accountable, and he sure did! 
In June of 2010 I ran my first half marathon in 2 hours 6 minutes and 15 seconds. I of course wanted to just fall during the race so I wouldn't have to finish because it was HARD. But I didn't. I ran the entire time. The feeling you get when you finish an accomplishment like that is more amazing than words can describe. It's a rush that everyone should experience at least once!
So, for all of my wanna-be runners out there, my advice is to start small. Running two miles might hurt at first, but if you keep running two miles it will get easier. There are programs to follow, like this Couch25K. Write out your workouts in your planner. Plan out what part of the day you will get in your workout and how far you will do. 
I usually run during my lunch breaks or after work. It just depends on my schedule for the week, for work and my personal life. But I plan it all out in my planner a week at a time. This way, I don't run out of time and so that I know that if I plan to run after work, I can mentally prepare for that run all day and not give the excuse that I am too tired. 
Email me if you have any questions, I'd love to help with any suggestions! 
Good luck :) 

*I am not a professional trainer or doctor. Consult your doctor before jumping into any workouts or diets.






4 comments:

  1. So jealous. I still have yet to feel that great feeling after running. I think I might be the only person missing that! I feel it after a good work out but never after running! :(

    xo, jill
    Classy with a Kick

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh good luck with your upcoming half marathon! i think it is a good idea to start small and just take it day by day, one run by one run. just remember it is all about just putting one foot in front of another

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did my first 5k about a month ago, and it was so satisfying to finish. Good for you for keeping it up!
    x Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. How are your feet not going up in flames with that brand of shoe on????

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love! I love hearing from readers :)