Friday, February 22, 2013

A Guest Post: A Southern Transplant

Hi, Friends!! I am off to Key West today for a much needed vaca (I'm returning Tuesday)! Follow along on Twitter and Instagram. :)

I asked Martha to write a guest post for me. She's my new blogger BFF. Go say, "HI" here! She's the sweetest! And she's sharing an amazing (and healthy--my favorite) recipe! Thanks for guest posting, Martha! Where's my margarita?

---------------

Hi! I’m Martha, and I blog over at A Southern Transplant. My little corner of the interwebs is dedicated to learning about living in the South, being a soccer mom (I still ask myself how that happened!), a full time working mom, and a wife to a busy, busy soccer coach, all while trying to remain “with it” and somewhat sane!

This is me with my Steve, soccer coach extraordinaire....


When Amanda asked me to guest post and share with her readers a healthy (and hearty-have you ever seen four tweens eat??!!!) recipe, I jumped at the chance. Amanda is awesome! She’s my Big, and has been super helpful to me! 

One of my favorite things to eat ever is lasagna. And it shows…on my hips and rear! Now, I don’t know about you, but eating healthy is hard for me if what I’m eating doesn’t taste good.  I am also responsible for cooking for an army of kids, so taste, cost, and simplicity is important.


Enter lasagna cupcakes. Yes, you heard right…cupcakes! Tasty, really easy to make, versatile, and everyone loves them! How can you not? Cupcakes and lasagna? Yes ma’am!

Here’s what you need:

Wonton Wrappers                                                            Spaghetti Sauce
Ground beef/turkey/chicken/venison                              Spinach/Yellow Squash/Zuchinni
Cottage Cheese                                                                Garlic
Mozzarella Cheese                                                          Salt and Pepper to taste

Preheat your oven to 350. Spray Pam on a muffin pan. Stuck cupcakes are bad even for lasagna ones!
Brown your meat (or veggies, whatever!).

While you’re browning your meat, mix the cottage cheese, garlic, salt and pepper in a separate bowl. I mixed spinach in my cottage cheese filling, but you can use whatever you want, really. I’ve also used yellow squash and zucchini (and yes, my kids LOVE veggies, so I’m lucky!). 

Line each muffin tin with a wonton wrapper. Push the edges so they line the bottom and the sides of the pan.  Spoon a tablespoon or so of your tomato sauce on top of the wonton wrapper. Follow with a spoonful of your meat, then a spoonful of your cottage cheese/veggie mix. Cover it all with another wonton wrapper. Now you can add another spoonful of sauce and sprinkle on some mozzarella cheese. 

Pop in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes until your wonton wrappers are browning on the edges or your cheese is melting.

Serve with a tasty adult beverage like a Viogner or a Merlot (or milk if you’re under 21…) and watch your cupcakes be devoured!


Trust me, these things are delish, and you can really fill them with anything! I’ve made Hawaiian Cupcakes, Chicken Pot Pie Cupcakes. They look like you’ve slaved away…when really you opened the wine before you started…!


3 comments:

  1. Have a GREAT vacation!!! And thank you for letting me take over your blog for the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad I stumbled on your blog! You're welcome note under your photo sounds exactly like me! Excited to start following along..Have a fabulous vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay for vacay!! and that looks soo good!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love! I love hearing from readers :)