Friday, March 22, 2013

On Eating Gluten Free

For those of you who haven't been around awhile, you might not know that I have suffered from horrible stomach pains for a long time. Over the past year, I have rarely been able to finish a meal without feeling nauseous. I've had all the tests in the book. You name it and I probably had that test. "Everything is normal" were always the words I heard on the other end of the phone whenever my tests results came back. 

It was beyond frustrating. I was over it. I felt helpless. And at one point just thought I was going to have to deal with it. I didn't want to be pricked with another needle or sit in that doctor's waiting room, EVER AGAIN. Over it.

The last time I went to see the doctor, the computers were down and he couldn't look over all of the results, but because there were traces of Celiacs Disease in one of my biopsies, he asked me to start eating gluten free for a few weeks, see how I feel, then we can go from there. 

It's been a little over a week since I have started eating a gluten free diet. I don't remember the last time I  have went his long without a horrible stomach ache. I can eat food and not feel sick. I have more energy. I am more alert, productive. And overall, I just feel pretty dang good. Change your food, change your life!

Last Friday, I told you about Revolt Fitness in a "fitness friday" post. Because I am having the above issues (and should concentrate on my own health right now, I have decided to not participate in the program as the diet is very strict. And takes more time that I have right now. 

I've been dabbling in gluten free cooking and coming up with some recipes that I can't wait to share! Next week I'll share the steak and creamy blue cheese sauce recipe I mentioned last week :) 

In the meantime, if you're looking to start cooking gluten free, too, this is one of my favorite sites for gluten free recipes: Simply Gluten-Free.

Do you eat gluten free? 
What are you favorite recipes? 
What tips and tricks do you have up your sleeve?

Have a wonderful weekend!!!




Photobucket


9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! I am so glad you feel better! Gluten Free is insanely tough, but I LOVE how much better I feel!!! I started using the app MyFitnessPal a couple weeks ago because I feel like it keeps me more accountable for NOT "accidentally" eating something gluten free, and it also helps me keep track of calories, which I've noticed I don't get as much of since I eat mostly fruits, veggies, and chicken. And rice, haha.
    So glad you feel better though!!! It's amazing how much you didn't realize before how you were dragged down, right? :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never eaten gluten-free, but I've considered trying it someday even though I don't have the condition. I hear a lot of people are doing it even if they don't have to. The only major drawback, that I know of, is that some gluten-free varieties of foods are expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm...I wonder if I should try gluten free. I have been having the same issues! I am so glad you are feeling better! :)

    Jill
    Classy with a Kick

    ReplyDelete
  5. This totally makes me want to try Gluten Free meals. I am so glad you found something that has made you start to feel better my dear:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been wanting to go Gluten Free for sooo long and I can never get myself to commit! would love to see what your food dairy looks like to prove to myself that there really is enough food in the world without gluten... haha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to hear you're feeling better - gluten can be meanie! We started eating GF last fall because of a needed change in Jeff's diet, so the large majority of the recipes I post are gluten-free. I was nervous when we first started, but it is so easy and just requires reading the labels a little closer (which we should do anyway, right?). My biggest takeaway is that I'm more thoughtful about what I eat and I eat fresher, cleaner foods. Just don't go for the gluten-free alternative because they can be really high in fat and sugar! For baking, my favorite thing is almond flour because it substitutes more easily than coconut flour and you don't have to have anything else (brown rice flour can require xanthan gum and other things). Good luck and let me know if you need any suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Visiting from Monthly Measures...What an interesting post! I recently heard a coworker of mine discussing that she has to eat a gluten free diet. That was the first time hearing about it. This sounds to be a great opportunity for you to educate others like myself on this topic, as you walk through it yourself. I am sure it will help others that may be experiencing the same. Thanks for sharing!
    -Natasha @ Lovely You
    lovelyyouboutique.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. YES! I also eat gluten free. and dairy free. and sugar free.. really because i do the paleo diet/ whole30 (which is meat, veggies, and fruit!). I have a bunch of great recipes! You don't have to cut out everything like me (& honestly this is just a cleanse, not a forever thing) but you will be amazed at how many delicious meals you can make without gluten! try focusing on meat meals with cooked veggies. I am so glad you have figured out what what making you feel so sick! you are on your way to healthy living just by giving your body what it needs!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love! I love hearing from readers :)