Friday, May 31, 2013

The Movers are Coming!

Today is Friday! Which means that tomorrow is Saturday....(you do the math).

WEEKEND.

Our movers are coming on Tuesday (cue panic attack), so I have a lot of prepping to do. Mostly cleaning out a few closets. I made the mistake of not cleaning out the closets the last time the movers came. We ended up moving a large amount of things that we did not need, like 3 coffee pots. Yes, those coffee pots are still in our hall closet. That closet, as well as the closet in our guest room make me very uncomfortable when I think about what it looks like on the other side--like a tiny tornado ripped through my house and managed to hit two closets, nothing else.

It's that time of year for Spring Summer cleaning, so let's review some closet organizing tips and ways to actually part with things you don't need, but you think you do need! I always think I need everything.

1. Section off the closets. Tackling an entire closet at one time can be intimidating. Section the closet or do one side at time (or the top then the bottom of the closet). You could also choose to do your shoes one day, clothes another day, etc. This would depend on how big the closet is, obviously.

2. Make 3 piles: Keep, unsure, get rid of. We've lived in our house for 2 years, so I am using the rule that if I haven't used it or worn it in 2 years, it's getting the boot. Except obviously, our Winter stuff, we live in Florida after all.

3. Hanger trick: this is a great trick for knowing what must go from your closet. Hang everything with the hangers backwards, after you wear something, hang it the other way. After six months or a year, you'll know exactly what needs to go! This is a hard one for me, considering my clothes are all over the floor most of the time and not on hangers.

4. Host a clothing sale. Get a bunch of friends together, ask if they want to also contribute clothes. Have wine, cheese, chocolate. You might also find some things you want... but that would probably be counter productive to cleaning out closets. That's the shopper in me talking.  

You can also sell anything valuable on eBay or a store like Women's Closet Exchange.

P to the S: Have you seen their show, Resale Royalty on Style? It makes me wish I was rich, so I can sell my stuff and buy more :)

Have a wonderful weekend!




8 comments:

  1. Awesome that you are moving but I hate hate hate unpacking!

    www.hautemommyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay...moving time. That means we are closer to our blate! :) I am selling stuff on ebay right now. I think I am going to get addicted because once I sell something I just want to buy something else with my new $$! Good luck packing!!

    Jill
    Classy with a Kick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips...we are moving soon so this was helpful. :) My clothes aren't always put in the closet or neatly-folded, either. When you have a puppy, there is a lot "Throw/toss it some place where the puppy can't get ahold of it." :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the tips ... I'm moving in a couple of days and need to get a handle on my clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. good luck with the move, amanda! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ughhh I so need this...but just thinking about cleaning out our closets makes me want to go hide. We have movers coming in 2 weeks & I definitely don't want them carting off all the crap that Taylor insists on hoarding..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with the move! I think the hardest part is getting rid of all the stuff you don't need but after that it's about enjoying your new place :)

    I enjoyed this post I'm now following you :) Can't wait to read more in the future!
    xoxo
    -B ♡
    http://msberrystylish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love! I love hearing from readers :)