Monday, August 19, 2013

Paleo: A Lifestyle

Since having to go gluten free against my will (dramatic, much?), I have been forced to pay more attention to what goes into my mouth. Naturally, I have been able to pin point foods (more than just gluten) that make me feel sick. Like nuts and most dairy products. Paleo is such a fad right now, and given my reputation of a follower, I decided to jump on the bandwagon. Well, sort of. Kind of... it's a gradual process.
I have been trying to eat as close to paleo as possible for the last few weeks. And by that I mean that I haven't stopped drinking wine. And sometimes I eat some candy. And sometimes I eat some dairy.  
I see this as a transition, something I plan to fully jump into in the next month or so. I bought the book, Practical Paleo to educate myself on this lifestyle, It's also where I get most of the recipes I've been trying out.
The author, Diane, also has a blog with a ton of educational information, including podcasts: Balanced Bites.
I'm finding that it's the easiest to plan ahead (it's really the only way to do it). Otherwise, you will find yourself with nothing to eat. You'll be shriveling away at your desk and then you'll take two steps to the vending machine and will be eating skittles before your mind can realize what you're doing. Trust me. It will happen...or is it just me?
Paleo really is a lifestyle move. It takes dedication and TIME. Precious time. Even though I haven't fully moved to paleo, I can already feel a difference in my energy (and tummy aches!). I feel less guilty when I eat a huge plate of food because I know that I just gave my body nutrients that it needed and didn't stuff myself with a burger and fries. I know that eventually junk food and candy will be a thing of the past and I will be moving forward to better things--and health! Something I am certainly dedicated to, my health.
Diane also has a 21-day sugar detox program, too! I need this because my sugar cravings are OUT. OF. CONTROL. 3 O'Clock and I have a fight every day. And it's not like I can just break up with it. 3 O'Clock is bound to happen, ugh. So... every day at 3, I want skittles, cookies, ANYTHING. It never fails. Damn you, 3p.m.!
Yesterday I spent the day meal planning, grocery shopping and cooking for the week.
Here are some of the recipes I have on my list for this week:
I made the blueberry crumble yesterday. It is rather tart, but really really tasty! I didn't have the right size pan, so mine didn't have enough crust, which is the best part. Obvi. And would have helped counter the tartness.
Note to self: get a 9x9 pan.
{all images from Balanced Bites}
I will report back with my favorite recipes of the week later.
Cheers to better health :)
 
Have you ever tried paleo? Were you successful? Why did you stop?
Or maybe you are paleo? (if so, share your tricks!)
 
Have a great Monday!!


4 comments:

  1. Good luck. I don't think I could ever go full Paleo but one of my best friends swears by it. She has some great recipes...I will send you her blog URL later!

    Jill
    Classy with a Kick

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I can eat all of this on the paleo diet, then I'm in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to say that I really enjoy your blog! Keep up the great work ♡

    PS: May I invite you to my huge Birthday Giveaway?

    Win 3 amazing prices with a total value of $650 on my blog:

    www.freshminhtea.com

    Only 1 day left to enter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see you haven't posted in a while but I nominated you for the liebster award on my blog! check it out, if you do decide to reply, just leave your post in my comments! I'd love to hear from you!

    http://lovinjosiah87.blogspot.com/2013/09/tgif-with-award.html

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love! I love hearing from readers :)