Monday, September 23, 2013

Paleo Pumpkin Donuts

I have never been much of a baker. I've always loved to cook, try new recipes and put my own (spicy) kick into everything. But baking? I've avoided it like the plague. Mostly because I will eat all of it. And I don't have time to spend additional hours on the treadmill for that. 

Lately I've been inspired to try my spatula at baking, pumpkin anything. It must be the Fall weather that has graced us for the past couple of days and the billions of Fall pins on Pinterest. Or it's the pumpkin spice candle burning right now. Gawwww, I love Fall :)

I'm a huge pumpkin fan. Pumpkin anything and I am in! Except for maybe pumpkin wine, I'd probably draw the line there. That's just wrong. 

My first pumpkin recipe of the season is donuts! With a maple almond glaze. Who doesn't love a good donut. And a paleo one at that. These are seriously amazing. I made them Friday night and by Sunday afternoon they had vanished. I may or may not of eaten them all by myself. Maybe. 

The original recipe came from Taylor but I made some modifications based on what I already had in my kitchen.

INGREDIENTS
Donuts:
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup almond milk (I used the vanilla kind because it's what I had in my fridge)
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
  • 2 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
  • 2 tbsp almond butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp almond flour  (I used regular, unsalted Kerrygold butter because I didn't have almond butter and it worked just fine!)
  • 1/4 cup coconut flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/8 tsp sea salt

  • Maple Almond Glaze:
  • 1 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1 tbsp almond butter (again, I used Kerrygold butter but make sure it is really soft so it mixes easily with a whisk. I put the butter in the microwave for a few seconds)
  • 1/2 tbsp raw honey
  • 1/2 tbsp coconut oil (softened)

  • BAKING INSTRUCTIONS:
    • Preheat oven to 350 degree.
    • Grease donut pan (I used a mini donut pan).
    • Combine all donut ingredients with a hand mixed until a smooth batter forms.
    • Spoon batter into donut pan, filling a little more than 3/4 of each hole.
    • Bake for about 15 minutes.
    • While donuts are baking, prepare your glaze by whisking all ingredients together in a small bowl until coconut oil is completely incorporated and the mixture is smooth.
    • When done, remove donuts from oven and allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove and cool on wire rack completely.
    • Once completely cool, dip the top of each donut into the glaze.
    • Then...enjoy! You can thank me later.
    Have a wonderful Monday!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Leave some love! I love hearing from readers :)