Thursday, January 23, 2014

A Gluten-Free Super Bowl

Regardless of whether or not the Chargers are in the Super Bowl (sad face), it is still worth watching, if not only for the commercials and the halftime show (my favorite), but for the food. Yes, the food. No Super Bowl party is complete without a variety of delicious eats. 

I've been forced to eat eating gluten-free for almost a year (life-changer!!). Over time I have learned to adapt and find alternatives for almost everything that contains gluten. Today, I'm here to share some great party food recipes with you and also give you the scoop on how to easily switch these recipes to gluten-free!

Follow my Super Bowl Pinterest Board for updates! 
These taco cups are pretty self explanatory, thanks to the great pictures.  They look super easy to throw together and with a little hot sauce could be perfection! You can easily make these gluten-free by using corn tortilla and ensuring the beans are also gluten-free. 
These meatballs look fantastic. You can easily make them gluten-free by subbing almond flour for the breadcrumbs (I've done this many times; I promise you can't taste a difference). Also, make sure you buy gluten-free BBQ sauce (tip: Sweet Baby Ray's is gluten-free and it's the best, in my opinion:). 

My mom has a meatball recipe that is so stinking easy it should be illegal. Are you ready for this? Mix one small jar of grape jelly and one bottle of (Sweet Baby Ray's) BBQ sauce in the crockpot, add one bag of frozen meatballs (make sure they are gluten-free!). I also add in red pepper flakes because I like things SPICY! If you want, you can also make your own meatballs (tip: in a food processor, grind up carrots, celery and any other veggie you like and add that to your meat for the balls. Simple way to add in veggies to your diet). 
These sweet potato nachos look uhh-mazing. My hubs is a big fan of kettle chips and melted blue cheese. These take it to the next level. Sweet potatoes are better for my diet anyways :) To make these gluten-free just sub almond or any other gluten-free flour (such a small amount is required that this shouldn't be any issues when it comes to the flavor/textures). Also, make sure the Gorgonzola is gluten-free. You'd be surprised at what they can sneak into some foods! 
You will definitely need something sweet for your guests. Perhaps you prefer to serve them cupcakes, but really good gluten-free cupcakes are hard to come by. And since this is all about being gluten-free, we will skip those (for now)... I could really go for a cupcake right about now... ugh.

This fruit salsa recipe can also be easily made gluten-free by using corn tortillas. I love to make tortilla chips with corn tortillas at home! It's super simply, cut into triangles and lay in single layer on cooking sheet. Spray a thin layer of cooking spray and then add your seasonings of choice. For this recipe I would add cinnamon and sugar. For plain tortilla chips, I would add salt and a little pepper (maybe a little lime if I am feeling sassy). Cook at 375 degrees for about 12 minutes (but it totally changes depending on your oven, so you'll have to watch for them to get slightly browned).  

Visit my Super Bowl Pinterest Board for more! 

What are you serving at your Super Bowl Party?



4 comments:

  1. So if you wanna fly to Virginia and make all this for me..I am game for that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I've too be eating (mostly) gluten-free for a year and it really isn't as bad as I initially thought it would be....though I do miss real cupcakes and donuts. Also, I'll probably be dreaming of those sweet potato chips tonight! nom nom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go girl! Those nachos look amazeballs. Glad gluten-free is going well. I have no complaints except for pizza...the gf versions just don't cut it.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love! I love hearing from readers :)