Thursday, May 8, 2014

Easy Peasy Chicken Tortilla Soup

I used to be really good at this blogging thing. And when I say really good, I mean consistent. Along the way, I lost all consistency. And I don't know where it went (except probably into my new job), but I am trying my hardest to find it and make it come to life. #pleasebarewithme 

Moving along...

I love, love, loooovvvveeee my crockpot! There are few things better than coming home to a healthy, warm and delicious meal waiting for you to devour. There's no frantically wracking your brain for what is in the fridge to creatively make for dinner or plotting the quickest route into the grocery store and home, all while you pull your hair out because you are in traffic and haven't moved for 10 minutes. Is that just me?

Two crockpot staples in my house are chili and chicken tortilla soup, the latter being my favorite, which is why I am here to share with you my not-so-famous recipe, adopted from The Skinny Fork. It's husband approved!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 4-5 breasts), shredded (I cook the chicken in the crockpot a day or two before I know I am going to make this. It makes shredding the chicken SO much easier. 
3 cans diced tomatoes
1 package of frozen corn or one can, whatever you have will work!
14.5 ouces black beans (No Salt Added), drained & rinsed
1 medium white onion, diced
1-2 jalapeƱo, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2-3 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
1 Tsp. ground cumin
1 Tsp. chili powder
1 Tsp. salt
1/4 Tsp. black pepper


Optional toppings:
Red onion, diced
Avocado
Sour cream
Cheddar cheese, shredded

I also enjoy it with tortilla chips. 

Happy crockpot cooking! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love! I love hearing from readers :)