Monday, July 14, 2014

Making the Most of Date Night - Drive In Movie Edition

Going to the drive in movie theater has always been on my bucket list. I have made plans to go a couple times but it never worked out. On Friday we were discussing our weekend plans (it's rare that we have an entire weekend to do whatever WE want, rather than having other plans already). Jonathan said he wanted to see Transformers and Planet of the Apes and I was instantly reminded of Heather's post from last week, Memphis Bucket List. The drive in sparked my interest so I mentioned it and it was instantly given approval :) We saw a double feature, Transformers and Maleficent. I didn't love either one of them, they were okay. Maleficent seemed so short compared to the three hours we watched Transformers! 

We picked up pizza on the way and also brought popcorn and candy. It was a perfect night--I didn't even need a blanket until about midnight. And the sunset before the movie was all sorts of beautiful! 
               
5 things to make your Drive In experience better:
1. If you plan to sit outside of your car, bring comfortable chairs! Maybe even a pillow. And a blanket if you get cold easily, like myself :) 
If you want to be comfortable, better safe than sorry. That's coming from a pregnant woman. #gofigure 
2. Get there early! We got there an hour early and there was a long line to get in already. Spots will fill up fast and you want to make sure you get a good one! We picked up pizza before and chatted and ate dinner before the movie started. We were also pretty entertained by the people watching. I had also brought Uno (one of my fav games), but we didn't end up needing to entertain ourselves further before the movie started. Another reason to get there early: you don't want to be that annoying person driving up and down the isles looking for a spot (with your lights on) disturbing the movie! People might yell at you. #justsayin
3. Bring snacks! You don't know how far away you will be from the snack bar (we were pretty far, we were also pretty far from the bathroom - not good!). And the line might be 100 miles long. You'll probably also save some change if you bring your own snacks and popcorn.
4. Bring a battery powered FM radio. This is how you will get sound. We planned to use our car's radio (make sure you start your car a few times during the movie so your battery doesn't die!) but we just happen to be next to someone with a loud sound system so we didn't need it! 
5. If you're like me, take a nap earlier in the day because it's going to be a looonnngggg night! We didn't get home until 2am. That's four hours past my bedtime. Just kidding. Kind of. 

Check out this list of America's Coolest Drive Ins!

Who's watching The Bachelorette tonight!? I really like Chris, but I don't think she's going to keep him around. She'll keep Nick even though he is total creep city. They always keep the creeps! amiright?



1 comment:

  1. Good advice! I will for sure bring a blanket and probably bug spray! Glad you had a good time! Was your drive in far away or were there two movies being played? I'm not sure I want to be at the drive in that late! HA!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love! I love hearing from readers :)